How Often Should You Clean Your Office?
How often should you schedule your professional office cleaning services? This can be a tough question to answer, as every office has its own unique needs. The frequency will depend on a range of factors including your office’s location, size, the amount of foot traffic it receives, and more.
Furthermore, different areas in your office will require different frequencies of cleaning. Below, we discuss each location in the office – and how often it should be cleaned for a typical office.
1. How Often Should Washrooms Be Cleaned?
Office washrooms should be cleaned regularly, usually on a daily basis. If your washrooms are used by customers, you’ll need to check them once or twice during the day to ensure they’re fully stocked with soap, towels, and other necessities.
2. How Often Should Office Kitchens Be Cleaned?
Office kitchens are hot-spots for the spread of germs and other illness-causing bacteria. Obvious culprits include countertops and sinks, though you shouldn’t forget about faucets and handles. These common touch points are often some of the dirtiest – and most easily overlooked – surfaces in your office’s kitchen. Appliances and surfaces should be wiped down and disinfected regularly to keep them clean.
3. How Often Should Lobbies Be Cleaned?
If visitors will be passing through your lobby frequently, you’ll want to devote extra attention to it to ensure positive first impressions. Depending on the amount of traffic it receives, your lobby should be cleaned every one to three days, spot cleaning in between to get rid of minor issues like spills.
For busier buildings, you may want to consider Day Porter/Matron services. Day Porters provide a constant presence, taking care of day-to-day tasks like keeping common areas clean, freshening washrooms, and conducting minor maintenance to keep your building constantly looking its best.
4. How Often Should Employees’ Desks Be Cleaned?
Most employees spend the majority of their time at their desks, making those surfaces magnets for grime and germs.
Some of the most commonly touched and dirtiest items include:
- Computer mice
- Desk phones
It’s important to regularly clean these common touch-points with disinfecting sprays or wipes, getting rid of germs before they’re able to spread.
5. How Often Should Windows Be Cleaned?
Window sills and frames need to be dusted regularly, often about once a week. The actual windows themselves need to be cleaned less frequently – typically twice per year – depending on factors including:
- Your Office’s Location: If your office is close to highways or busy streets, your windows will likely get dirty faster than offices in suburban areas with lighter traffic – necessitating more frequent cleaning.
- Landscaping Around Your Office: If your office has trees nearby that tend to drip sap or mulch in its gardens, you might need to clean your windows more often to remove sticky residue or built-up dust.
- The Weather: You’ll want to wash your windows more often than normal during particularly rainy springs to remove mineral deposits left by rainwater.
6. How Often Should Floors Be Cleaned?
Most carpets and hard floors in offices will need to be cleaned weekly. If foot traffic picks up or Mother Nature brings a healthy dose of snow or rain to Southern Ontario, you might need to consider cleaning your floors more frequently.
Hard floors and carpets also typically need a thorough cleaning twice a year to remove built-up grime and keep them in good shape.
Work with an experienced professional cleaning company to develop a cleaning routine suited to your office, creating a welcome and healthy workplace for employees and visitors.
At Sunshine, we are dedicated to delivering industry-leading office cleaning services using the best equipment, products and practices. Contact us today to discuss your office cleaning needs!
More about Office Cleaning from Sunshine:
- Get a Thorough Clean for Your Office
- Top 3 Tips to Make Workplaces Healthier and Reduce Absenteeism
- 3 Small Ways to Make Your Building Cleaner
- Keep Your Space Clean and Safe by Washing Your Hands - October 15, 2018
- How to Prepare Your Commercial Floors for the Cold Seasons - September 25, 2018
- Sunshine: Building A Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance Legacy - August 20, 2018
- How to Stay on Top of Summer Floor Care and Maintenance - July 10, 2018
- Celebrate World Environment Day by Prioritizing Green Cleaning! - June 5, 2018
- Preparing Schools for Cleaning and Maintenance During the Summer - May 22, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 4 Years with No Lost Time Injuries! - May 5, 2018
- Spring Cleaning: How to Take Care of Your Floors After Winter - March 28, 2018
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017