Why You Shouldn’t Bring Household Cleaning Products to Work
Do you like using a vinegar-based solution on your windows at home? Are you a fan of a certain brand of cleaning products? Do you believe you’ve created the perfect aromatic concoction to fill your rooms with the scent of newly bloomed flowers?
As tempting as it might be to bring these products to work with you, you should think twice before doing that. Remember, the professional cleaners looking after your workplace use specific cleaning products for a reason.
Why You Should Keep Household Cleaning Products at Home
Effects on Indoor Air Quality
- Fragrance Allergies: As the use of fragrances in products rises, so too do the number of people negatively affected by them. Fragrance allergies and sensitivities can manifest as headaches, skin rashes, sneezing fits, and even asthma. Although fresh-from-the-oven baking might smell delicious, the vanilla used to provide that sought after scent might be too much for some people in your workplace.
- Inconsistent Smells: The scent of cleanliness should be consistent throughout your building. You don’t want one floor to smell like lemon, another candy, and a third pine.
Potential Health Hazards
Professional cleaners know when and when not to mix products together. But what if someone – backed by only the best intentions – combines ammonia with bleach and a pine scent to make a stronger cleaner? Those kinds of innocent mistakes can be incredibly dangerous for that individual and anyone around them.
Your professional cleaners will also effectively mark hazards, including slippery floors or areas recently treated with a noxious substance.
The Need for Standardization
Your cleaning routine should be just that – a standard set of practices easily carried out on a regular basis. Professional cleaners will be able to keep your building looking its best by following pre-determined schedules and using the latest products and practices to guarantee the best results.
Thorough and Effective Sanitization
Whatever type of building you have, you need to prevent the spread of germs to keep illnesses at bay. This means regularly sanitizing and disinfecting environments and commonly touched surfaces.
Regularly sanitizing and disinfecting is especially important for certain types of buildings. Healthcare institutions, for example, need to be treated specially to adhere to all Ontario Hospital Cleaning Standards and meet or exceed the guidelines set by the Provincial Infectious Diseases Advisory Committee (PIDAC). Your cleaners know that, and – more importantly – they know how to stick to those stringent standards.
What to Do If You Have Questions about the Products Your Cleaning Company Uses
Your cleaning company chooses products for specific reasons, selecting ones that will both work well and maintain a healthy workspace and environment.
If you have questions or concerns about cleaning products they use, talk with your cleaning company about them. They’ll be able to provide you with information about the steps they take to clean eco-consciously and responsibly, why they choose certain products, and the dangers associated with mixing the wrong chemicals.
Working with a professional cleaning company to find the products and routines suitable for your building will keep it clean, shining, and healthy all year round.
At Sunshine, our highly experienced teams bring together unparalleled levels of service, industry-leading training, and the best equipment to deliver superior results. Contact us today to discuss your cleaning needs!
More on Commercial Cleaning from Sunshine:
- Understanding the Difference between Cleaners, Sanitizers, and Disinfectants
- How Often Should You Clean Your Office?
- 5 Tips for Choosing the Right Commercial Cleaning Company
- How to Stay on Top of Summer Floor Care and Maintenance - July 10, 2018
- Celebrate World Environment Day by Prioritizing Green Cleaning! - June 5, 2018
- Preparing Schools for Cleaning and Maintenance During the Summer - May 22, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 4 Years with No Lost Time Injuries! - May 5, 2018
- Spring Cleaning: How to Take Care of Your Floors After Winter - March 28, 2018
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017
- 3 Things You Can Do to Plan Ahead for Ice and Snow - December 6, 2017
- 7 Rules of Etiquette for Cleaning Open Office Spaces - October 26, 2017
- Put Your Hands Together (and Then Scrub with Soap and Water) for Global Handwashing Day on October 15th - October 13, 2017