Put Your Hands Together (and Then Scrub with Soap and Water) for Global Handwashing Day on October 15th
This coming Sunday, October 15th, is Global Handwashing Day. Now in its 10th year, this is a day dedicated to increasing awareness worldwide about the importance of good hand hygiene as an effective way to discourage the spread of disease. This year’s theme is “Our Hands, Our Future!”
At Sunshine, we know how important it is to keep the places where we live, work, and play healthy and safe. This is especially the case around this time of year with flu season on the horizon. No matter what type of building yours is—whether a school, office, condo, or industrial facility—good hand hygiene plays a crucial role in keeping our spaces clean and germ free.
Washing your hands the right way means:
- Wetting them with water (you can use either warm or cold) and applying soap.
- Lathering the soap by rubbing your hands together.
- Scrubbing your hands for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Rinsing them with clean water.
- Drying them with a fresh towel, paper towel, or an air dryer.
In addition to proper hand hygiene, other tools in your bacteria- and illness-fighting arsenal can include:
- Hand Sanitizers: Whether they forget or think they don’t have the time, the reality is that not everyone washes their hands as often as they should. Placing hand sanitizer in key spots like bathrooms and kitchens makes it more likely that people will use it in addition to or instead of soap and water.
- Touch Point Cleaning: Touch points are the surfaces people come into the most frequent contact with including door handles, light switches, office equipment, phones, bathroom faucets, and more. These hotspots should be cleaned and disinfected frequently to minimize how far and fast germs can spread.
Taking action to make good hand hygiene a consistent part of your everyday routines will help keep both you and those around you healthy all year long.
Sunshine Building Maintenance uses only the most advanced, effective, and safe germicidal and cleaning products (including Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide and microfiber cloths) to tackle touch points and combat the spread of germs. Contact us today to learn more about our services!
More on Touch Point Cleaning from Sunshine:
- Winning the War against Germs: 3 Benefits of Office Touch Point Cleaning
- Understanding the Difference between Cleaners, Sanitizers, and Disinfectants
- Top 3 Tips to Make Workplaces Healthier and Reduce Absenteeism
- Spring Cleaning: How to Take Care of Your Floors After Winter - March 28, 2018
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 1,500,000 Hours with No Lost Time Injuries! - December 21, 2017
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017
- 3 Things You Can Do to Plan Ahead for Ice and Snow - December 6, 2017
- 7 Rules of Etiquette for Cleaning Open Office Spaces - October 26, 2017
- Put Your Hands Together (and Then Scrub with Soap and Water) for Global Handwashing Day on October 15th - October 13, 2017
- The Benefits of Day Porter/Matron Cleaning Services for Your Office - September 29, 2017
- The Real Value of a Clean Building [Infographic] - September 13, 2017
- 3 Ways a Clean Bathroom Benefits Your Business - August 30, 2017