Green Cleaning Services
Although Green Cleaning does not have a single accepted definition, Sunshine has one clear objective as it relates to green cleaning: to enhance environmental health and workplace safety.“Sunshine Green…Responsibly Clean” has been a core philosophy for Sunshine for over ten years. We recognize that cleaning products and practices have a direct impact on quality of life. We therefore strive to be good stewards when maintaining facilities, which is about “caring” for a building and going far beyond providing basic janitorial services.
Cleaning Product Selection Guidelines
- Select products that meet well-established environmental health and safety criteria of recognized certification programs (Green Seal, Eco-Logo) that have been developed with multi-stakeholder input.
- Select products that meet performance criteria to minimize serious risk for poor product performance (i.e., includes lack of disinfection, high cost per liter, building materials incompatibility, etc.)
Sunshine’s Stewardship Principles:
1. Go Beyond AppearancesEven buildings that appear clean can be unhealthy. Our approach is to focus on cleaning for health, the environment and appearance.
2. Take a Holistic ApproachCleaning must encompass the building as a whole, not just as separate components. Cleaning and maintenance in one area can adversely impact other areas; as an example, stripping and re-coating a floor in one area can migrate to adjacent areas, or even the entire building via the HVAC system.
3. Minimize ExposureReduce human exposure to harmful contaminants and cleaning residues. Areas where work is being done should have adequate ventilation. Work schedules should minimize exposure to building occupants. Products used should be the most environmentally preferable to accomplish the task.
4. Minimize ResidueUse microfiber cloth to minimize chemical, particle, and moisture residue when cleaning. Cleaning products used for their ability to quickly and efficiently remove oil, soil, and living organisms can also make a building unhealthy if used incorrectly.
5. Ensure SafetyKeep workers and building occupants safe and secure at all times.
6. Reduce All Pollutants
7. Safe DisposalDispose of cleaning waste in an environmentally appropriate manner. Minimize the amount of pollutants entering the building with a concerted effort on source removal. It is significantly more effective in terms of both time and money to keep contaminants out of the building than to try to remove them once they have entered.
Healthy High Performance Cleaning ProgramIn partnership with environmentally conscious organizations such as Nilfisk-Advance & Avmor Canada , Sunshine created its “Healthy High Performance Cleaning Program” (HHPC).HHPC was developed to minimize the adverse environmental impact on the buildings we service, and to create a safe and healthy working environment for our customers’ employees, visitors and tenants, and for our valued employees. Our commitment to HHPC ensures that facilities are cleaned and maintained in an environmentally responsible manner. The resulting benefits to our customers are improved employee health and productivity and reduced sick-time, and healthier and more satisfied tenants.Cleaning products and equipment have a significant impact on whether a building is maintained in a safe and healthy way. HHPC starts with environmentally safe cleaning products, and then incorporates green cleaning strategies and practices.Sunshine adheres to strict purchasing guidelines, as established in HHPC, for the procurement of cleaning products and equipment. Wherever possible, Sunshine complies with third party certifications such as Green Seal and Eco Logo, which is a path to LEED compliance.
Janitorial Equipment Guidelines
- Vacuum cleaners that meet the requirements of the Carpet and Rug Institute Green Label Program and are capable of capturing 96% of particulates 0.3 microns in size and operate with a sound level less than 70 dBA. Sunshine utilizes Pro-Team Back Vacuums with a HEPA Level Filtration removing 99.97% of dirt and allergens .3 micron or larger from floors and surfaces.
- Hot water extraction equipment for deep cleaning carpets capable of removing sufficient moisture such that carpets can dry in less than 24 hours. Sunshine is equipped with state of the art truck-mounted extraction units.
- Powered maintenance equipment including floor buffers, burnishers and automatic scrubbers equipped with vacuums, guards and/or other devices for capturing fine particulate that operate with a sound level less that 70 dBA. Sunshine utilizes the most current technology in all of its equipment. Floor buffers, burnishers and auto-scrubbers that utilize a disposable paper bag dust control system for a healthier environment. Auto-scrubbers equipped with innovative filter technology as well as water saving features. Automated scrubbing machines are equipped with variable-speed pumps to optimize the use of cleaning fluids.
- Battery-powered equipment that uses environmentally preferable gel batteries.
- Where applicable, active microfiber technology to reduce cleaning chemical consumption and to prolong the life of disposable scrubbing pads.
- Powered equipment ergonomically designed to minimize vibration, noise and user fatigue.