Clearing the Air: HEPA Vacuum Filters in the Workplace
According to the World Health Organization, workplace exposure to fumes, gases, and dust are responsible for 11% of asthma cases worldwide. And some estimates suggest that 20% of new cases of asthma in adults are work-related. One way that Sunshine endeavours to keep your office environment clean isn’t visible, and that’s why we use HEPA vacuums.
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Cleaning for appearances only removes visible, surface-level soil and contaminants, while cleaning for health removes microscopic bacteria, dust, and fine airborne particulate—some of the largest contributors to poor indoor air quality.
For this reason, Sunshine is working towards making HEPA-filtered vacuum cleaners mandatory at all of our job sites. At Sunshine, we go beyond clean appearances, and ensure that surfaces are sparkling clean to the eye as well as clean for your health.
HEPA—What it Means
HEPA is an acronym that stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air and refers to a vacuum’s filtration system process.
HEPA filters are extremely dense and capture 99.97% of airborne particulate larger than 0.3 micrometres (like dust mites and pollen). Additionally, HEPA vacuums are sealed to ensure that all air that passes through the filter is contained, not leaking dust out. This process ensures that airborne particulate is not simply vacuumed and returned to your workplace’s interior airspace.
HEPA filters are made of thin glass fibres that are converted into a high-density paper. The paper is then tightly pleated into a dense filter permitting the filtering of significant volumes of air. This attention to detail makes HEPA vacuums ideal for office cleaning, institutional cleaning (such as hospitals) and high-density residential cleaning (such as condominiums and retirement communities).
HEPA vacuums dramatically reduce airborne allergens caused by pollen, dust, and other environmental elements, making work and living environments more comfortable for everyone—including allergy and asthma sufferers.
>> Sunshine is committed to excellence in cleaning and recent innovations in organizational and institutional cleaning. To discover more about Sunshine’s Stewardship Principles, click here.
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 1,500,000 Hours with No Lost Time Injuries! - December 21, 2017
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017
- 3 Things You Can Do to Plan Ahead for Ice and Snow - December 6, 2017
- 7 Rules of Etiquette for Cleaning Open Office Spaces - October 26, 2017
- Put Your Hands Together (and Then Scrub with Soap and Water) for Global Handwashing Day on October 15th - October 13, 2017
- The Benefits of Day Porter/Matron Cleaning Services for Your Office - September 29, 2017
- The Real Value of a Clean Building [Infographic] - September 13, 2017
- 3 Ways a Clean Bathroom Benefits Your Business - August 30, 2017
- Have You Heard about Sunshine’s High Ceiling Cleaning Services? - August 22, 2017
- Choosing Sunshine as Your Preferred Consumables Supplier - June 29, 2017