Proper Hard Floor Cleaning and Maintenance – Part Two
In our previous post we discussed proper hard floor cleaning and maintenance tips for Marmoleum flooring.
In this post, we provide information about Ceramic and Porcelain tile as well as tips and advice on how these surfaces should be cared for.
Ceramic and Porcelain Tile
Ceramic tiles are made of clay and come in a variety of colours. They can be textured or smooth depending on preferences.
Porcelain is a ceramic tile made using a dust press method and is available in several finishes such as:
• unglazed or
• high polished.
Porcelain tiling can give a room a more refined appearance and is suitable for larger areas.
How to care for Ceramic and Porcelain Tile:
Firstly, waxing these surfaces is not recommended. Wax wears off over time and makes the tiles look spotty.
The biggest challenges with maintaining the appearance of ceramic and porcelain tiles is dirt gets embedded into the pores of the tile and grout. As a result, even when the floor surface is regularly mopped, it can look dirty. Over time the grout lines lose their original colour.
In order to keep the floor surfaces and grout lines looking clean, it is recommended that these floors are treated with a machine scrubber three to four times a year, depending on the specific environment.
A machine scrubber with a brush attachment loosens dirt from the pores of the tile and grout so it can be removed. Using a brush ensures that the machine scrubber gets into the uneven surfaces – the grout line is lower than the surface of the tile.
Other than machine scrubbing, regular mopping with a non-toxic cleaner, and occasionally with a degreaser if required, will keep the appearance of ceramic and porcelain looking its best.
Important Facts to Remember about Porcelain and Ceramic Tile:
• Both porcelain and ceramic tiling is customizable depending on your preferences
• Waxing porcelain or ceramic tile is not recommended
• In high-traffic areas, treatment with a machine scrubber is recommended three to four times a year
• Regular mopping will keep the tile in good condition
Sunshine Building Maintenance offers Hard Flooring Cleaning programs designed to maintain the appearance and extend the life of your flooring surfaces.
If you would like additional information about these programs, please contact us at 905-335-2020 or email us at email@example.com.
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 1,500,000 Hours with No Lost Time Injuries! - December 21, 2017
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017
- 3 Things You Can Do to Plan Ahead for Ice and Snow - December 6, 2017
- 7 Rules of Etiquette for Cleaning Open Office Spaces - October 26, 2017
- Put Your Hands Together (and Then Scrub with Soap and Water) for Global Handwashing Day on October 15th - October 13, 2017
- The Benefits of Day Porter/Matron Cleaning Services for Your Office - September 29, 2017
- The Real Value of a Clean Building [Infographic] - September 13, 2017
- 3 Ways a Clean Bathroom Benefits Your Business - August 30, 2017
- Have You Heard about Sunshine’s High Ceiling Cleaning Services? - August 22, 2017
- Choosing Sunshine as Your Preferred Consumables Supplier - June 29, 2017