Proper Hard Floor Cleaning and Maintenance – Part Three
In the previous post we discussed hard floor cleaning and maintenance tips for Porcelain and Ceramic tiles.
In this post, we provide information about Vinyl Composition Tile as well as tips and advice on how this surface should be cared for.
Vinyl Composition Tile (VCT)
Vinyl Composition Tile (VCT) is used primarily in commercial and institutional applications. Tiles are composed of coloured chips formed into solid sheets of varying thicknesses and cut into 12” squares.
VCT is favoured in high-traffic areas because of its low cost, durability and ease of maintenance. It also has a high resilience to abrasion and impact damage.
Some manufacturers create vinyl tiles that closely resemble wood, stone, terrazzo and concrete.
Mixing marble or granite chips with cement or epoxy makes terrazzo, which can be formed into various sizes and thicknesses. Terrazzo is durable and wears well, which makes it ideally suited for high traffic areas.
How to Care For VCT and Terrazzo Surfaces
To maintain the look of Vinyl Composition and Terrazzo surfaces, it is recommended that they are completely stripped and re-finished with the appropriate type of wax at least once or twice per year.
A hard wax finish keeps tiles looking shiny, and protects them from scuff marks and from dirt getting embedded into the surface.
In addition, VCT and Terrazzo floors should be buffed or burnished weekly or bi-monthly, depending on the environment. Buffing or burnishing brings up the lustre and hardens the wax, which means better protection for the floor’s surface and the wax lasting longer.
Other than buffing or burnishing, these floors require only regular mopping to maintain their clean appearance.
Important Facts to Remember about VCT and Terrazzo Surfaces:
• VCT and Terrazzo surfaces are used primarily in commercial or institutional buildings because of their durability and low-cost application
• It is recommended that both VCT and Terrazzo surfaces be completely stripped and re-waxed once or twice a year
• Both surfaces should also be buffed weekly or bi-monthly to increase their durability over the long-term
Sunshine Building Maintenance offers Hard Flooring Cleaning programs designed to maintain the appearance and extend the life of your flooring surfaces.
If you would like additional information about these programs, please contact us at 905-335-2020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Keep Your Space Clean and Safe by Washing Your Hands - October 15, 2018
- How to Prepare Your Commercial Floors for the Cold Seasons - September 25, 2018
- Sunshine: Building A Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance Legacy - August 20, 2018
- How to Stay on Top of Summer Floor Care and Maintenance - July 10, 2018
- Celebrate World Environment Day by Prioritizing Green Cleaning! - June 5, 2018
- Preparing Schools for Cleaning and Maintenance During the Summer - May 22, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 4 Years with No Lost Time Injuries! - May 5, 2018
- Spring Cleaning: How to Take Care of Your Floors After Winter - March 28, 2018
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017