How to Remove Gum from Carpets
We can all agree that gum has no place on our carpets. It makes a carpet look dirty and neglected; and on top of that, it’s a pain to remove.
Although a cleaning service like Sunshine will have no trouble getting rid of the gum for you, you may want to do some damage control right away. Gum is a sticky business. You have to get to it as quickly as possible. The more it’s stepped on and the longer it has to set, the more difficult it will be to clean off. Even after the gum or adhesive has been cleaned, the sticky residue will leave a visible spot after a few days if the process is not thorough enough.
Here are 2 key ways to go about removing carpet-gum:
1. Freeze: Using ice cubes in a plastic bag or a cold pack, freeze the piece of gum. Lay the ice onto it and allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes. As it cools, the gum will harden and be easier to lift from the carpet.
Once the gum is suitably frozen, it can be scraped off. Chip and scrape as much of the gum as possible off the carpet, re-freezing trouble spots and repeating as necessary.
2. Heat: Heat can work as either an initial method for removing gum or a secondary step after freezing.
If the freezing method hasn’t already been used, the gob of gum can be heated up (something as simple as a hair dryer will work). As the gum becomes more malleable, it can be gently pulled up from the carpet by putting your hand in a plastic bag.
After most of the offending adhesive has been removed by either freezing or heating, the ideal next step is hot-water or steam extraction. This will require a professional cleaning service, and is the best way to ensure that no traces of stickiness or stain are left. It is the deepest carpet cleaning method.
Alternatively, chemicals can be used to remove the remaining residue. This does not always work as well as hot-water extraction, but it is an option. Apply a non-volatile dry solvent, volatile dry solvent, or gel solvent and allow it to soak in. Work the solvent into the residue, then rinse with detergent and hot water.
After these methods have been completed, it is still important to do a carpet clean. This will ensure that all traces of the adhesive are eliminated and the carpet is restored to top condition.
>> Sunshine offers comprehensive carpet and upholstery cleaning services. Don’t hesitate to contact us to discuss your building’s needs.
Image source: http://www.wikihow.com
- Keep Your Space Clean and Safe by Washing Your Hands - October 15, 2018
- How to Prepare Your Commercial Floors for the Cold Seasons - September 25, 2018
- Sunshine: Building A Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance Legacy - August 20, 2018
- How to Stay on Top of Summer Floor Care and Maintenance - July 10, 2018
- Celebrate World Environment Day by Prioritizing Green Cleaning! - June 5, 2018
- Preparing Schools for Cleaning and Maintenance During the Summer - May 22, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 4 Years with No Lost Time Injuries! - May 5, 2018
- Spring Cleaning: How to Take Care of Your Floors After Winter - March 28, 2018
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017