Sick Leave: Canada Lost $16.6 Billion in 2012 Due To Absenteeism, Conference Board Says – Huffington Post
According to a recent article in the Business Canada section of the Huffington Post, the Canadian economy suffers a loss of more than $16 billion per year due to absenteeism.
That’s not even the whole story; the bottom line is not the only cost of absenteeism. “The [$16 billion per year] estimate does not include any indirect costs associated with a worker being away, like finding a replacement, delays and missed deadlines and a reduction in employee morale.”
Workplace absence can be caused by a variety of issues, including illness or stress. While there are differences in the number of sick days taken by different genders, age groups, and those who work in different sectors or regions, absenteeism is a concern for all businesses and organizations.
The article also mentions the potential consequences when employees do not take a sick day. The workplace experiences “lost productivity when someone goes into the office sick and can’t perform their work or if others have to take time off because they’ve come into contact with someone who was contagious”.
As we see it, the key is to help employees avoid falling ill. Whether they need to take a sick day or they attend work while sick, the business is impacted. The best situation is for them not to become sick in the first place.
That is where professional office cleaning services can play a crucial role. Ensuring that the workplace is clean, hygienic, and free of viruses and bacteria makes a real difference for office health. We believe that applying safe, green cleaning processes (such as using micro fibre cloths) is the difference between a sick and a healthy workplace.
Another important service to keep your office healthy is touch point cleaning. Touch point cleaning is the sanitizing and disinfecting of surfaces that are in frequent contact with multiple people. This includes places like door handles, elevator buttons, and light switches. Just keeping these surfaces clean can stop cross-infection in its tracks.
>> Let Sunshine develop an office cleaning program that works for you. Request a consultation or quote today!
Image Source: www.huffingtonpost.ca
- Keep Your Space Clean and Safe by Washing Your Hands - October 15, 2018
- How to Prepare Your Commercial Floors for the Cold Seasons - September 25, 2018
- Sunshine: Building A Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance Legacy - August 20, 2018
- How to Stay on Top of Summer Floor Care and Maintenance - July 10, 2018
- Celebrate World Environment Day by Prioritizing Green Cleaning! - June 5, 2018
- Preparing Schools for Cleaning and Maintenance During the Summer - May 22, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 4 Years with No Lost Time Injuries! - May 5, 2018
- Spring Cleaning: How to Take Care of Your Floors After Winter - March 28, 2018
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017