3 Tips for Enhancing Indoor Air Quality
Is the air inside your building feeling a little bit stale? A long winter spent inside can leave many of us in Southern Ontario feeling that way. But don’t worry; there are a few simple steps you can take to help improve indoor air quality no matter the season.
Here are three tips for keeping the air inside your building feeling and smelling fresh all year round:
1. Use the Right Cleaning Agents
Is there a certain smell that you love to fill your house with – whether it’s a new bouquet of flowers, fresh-from-the-oven baking, or sweet citrus? As tempted as you might be to bring your own cleaning products with you to work, there are two reasons it might be better to leave them at home:
- Fragrance Allergies: For some people, certain smells can cause adverse physical reactions like headaches, rashes, sneezing or coughing fits, and potentially asthma.
- Inconsistent Scents: Your building should smell consistently clean. You don’t want one area to smell like green apple, another pine, and a third lemon.
Your cleaning company will pick specific products for dedicated reasons, choosing the ones that will work effectively to keep your spaces clean, hygienic, and fresh. If you have any questions or concerns, you can always speak with your cleaning company about the supplies they use.
Do you know why household cleaning products need to stay at home? Read our blog to find out!
2. Ensure Indoor Spaces Are Properly Ventilated
Depending on the time of year, cracking a window can be a simple way to get some fresh air inside and keep everything smelling fresh. Make sure you pay attention to humidity levels, though. An overly humid room (anything over 50%) can lead to the development of mold and mildew.
Don’t forget to check the filters in your furnace and air conditioning units as well, as they’re typically the first line of defence against outside contaminants. Changing them regularly (every one to three months depending on the building) will help them perform better and keep the air inside clear.
3. Keep Your Building Clean
The best way to maintain and improve indoor air quality is to keep your building clean:
- Sweep and vacuum as regularly as is necessary. Highly trafficked areas might need to be spot cleaned throughout the day and fully cleaned at night. Lightly trafficked locations might only need to be completely swept and vacuumed a few times per week.
- Mop to get rid of remaining scuffs, dirt, and anything smaller that the vacuum has left behind.
- Dust exposed surfaces (including hard-to-reach areas) to pick up accumulated particles.
- Touch point clean to remove any harmful bacteria or germs that are lingering on commonly touched surfaces like light switches, faucets, and door handles.
Work with your professional cleaning company to decide on the frequencies, routines, and products that will be best suited for the unique needs of your building.
At Sunshine, our highly experienced teams bring together unparalleled levels of service, industry-leading training, and the best equipment to deliver superior results. Contact us today to discuss your cleaning needs!
More on Commercial Cleaning from Sunshine:
- Understanding the Difference between Cleaners, Sanitizers, and Disinfectants
- How Often Should You Clean Your Office?
- 5 Tips for Choosing the Right Commercial Cleaning Company
- Spring Cleaning: How to Take Care of Your Floors After Winter - March 28, 2018
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 1,500,000 Hours with No Lost Time Injuries! - December 21, 2017
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017
- 3 Things You Can Do to Plan Ahead for Ice and Snow - December 6, 2017
- 7 Rules of Etiquette for Cleaning Open Office Spaces - October 26, 2017
- Put Your Hands Together (and Then Scrub with Soap and Water) for Global Handwashing Day on October 15th - October 13, 2017
- The Benefits of Day Porter/Matron Cleaning Services for Your Office - September 29, 2017
- The Real Value of a Clean Building [Infographic] - September 13, 2017
- 3 Ways a Clean Bathroom Benefits Your Business - August 30, 2017