Keep Workplaces Healthy – Don’t Go to Work Sick
One of the top ways to stop the spread of germs and colds during flu season is simple: don’t go to work sick.
When sick people are at work, they can’t avoid touching common surfaces and spreading illness around the office.
CNN Health gives three excellent reasons why you shouldn’t go to work sick:
- You’ll get co-workers sick.
- You’ll be less productive.
- You’ll take longer to recover (making you less productive for a longer period of time).
A recent article by Huffington Post Healthy Living discusses some good news – fewer people are going to work sick. A new survey from Staples suggests that 60% of people say they go to work sick, compared to 90% from last year.
While the trend is certainly positive, 60% of people attending work while sick is still too many!
Unfortunately, that means during flu season, your workplace may still have a lot of bacteria and germs going around. As CNN Health recommends, disinfecting objects including phones, doorknobs, keyboards, and so on, during flu season is a key strategy to cut down on the sickness spread.
These common “touch points” are primary sources of cross-infection. In fact, bacteria and viruses can live on these surfaces for a long time; for example, the influenza virus can be active from 2-8 hours after landing on these surfaces!
We highly recommend professional touch point cleaning to mitigate the possibility of illnesses spreading in the workplace. While this is important all year round, it’s particularly essential during flu season and the winter months.
Dedicated disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces keeps employees healthy – reducing the need for sick days and improving productivity … even if 60% of your employees are coming to work while sick.
>> Sunshine Building Maintenance provides touch point cleaning with advanced germicidal products and best practices recommended by healthcare professionals. Contact us to discuss your needs now.
More on office health from Sunshine:
- The Dirtiest Places in Your Workplace (And How to Prevent Illness)
- Is Your Office Making Your Employees Sick?
- Sick Leave: Canada Lost $16.6 Billion in 2012 Due To Absenteeism, Conference Board Says – Huffington Post
- How to Stay on Top of Summer Floor Care and Maintenance - July 10, 2018
- Celebrate World Environment Day by Prioritizing Green Cleaning! - June 5, 2018
- Preparing Schools for Cleaning and Maintenance During the Summer - May 22, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 4 Years with No Lost Time Injuries! - May 5, 2018
- Spring Cleaning: How to Take Care of Your Floors After Winter - March 28, 2018
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017
- 3 Things You Can Do to Plan Ahead for Ice and Snow - December 6, 2017
- 7 Rules of Etiquette for Cleaning Open Office Spaces - October 26, 2017
- Put Your Hands Together (and Then Scrub with Soap and Water) for Global Handwashing Day on October 15th - October 13, 2017