What is the Difference between Disinfecting and Sanitizing?
Although people often use “disinfecting” and “sanitizing” interchangeably, they are two different processes with different outcomes. Disinfectants kill 100% of organisms, while sanitizers kill 99.9%.
While this may not seem like a huge distinction, it drastically changes the makeup of each product and how it should be used in certain circumstances.
Whether your building requires disinfection or sanitization depends on the unique requirements of your space. For example, businesses that handle food (restaurants, packing plants, etc.) have specific regulations that define what cleaning products and methods must be used.
It is important to know the differences between these two often confused cleaning products.
Key Differences between Disinfectants and Sanitizers
- Kill 100% of organisms
- Fully effective in 10 minutes
- Need to be rinsed after use, particularly on food contact surfaces
- Potable water must be used for rinsing after cleaning, otherwise can be dangerous
- Should be registered by the Environmental Protection Agency and carry proper “kill claims”
- Quaternary-based products are the most effective, as they are safer and less corrosive
- Ideal for cleaning medical facilities or hospitals
- Kill 99.9% of organisms
- Fully effective in 30 seconds
- Don’t need to be rinsed on a food contact surface
- Surfaces must be pre-cleaned before using a sanitizer
- Sanitizers need to air dry
- Best practices include using with a microfiber cloth on food preparation boards and dining tables
- Ideal for spaces such as restaurants
Both of these cleaning agents require adherence to pesticide regulations. The correct use of these products, as well as any cleaning product, will help you comply with health and safety standards.
A knowledgeable, professional cleaning company should always use the appropriate products and tools for your specific environment.
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 1,500,000 Hours with No Lost Time Injuries! - December 21, 2017
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017
- 3 Things You Can Do to Plan Ahead for Ice and Snow - December 6, 2017
- 7 Rules of Etiquette for Cleaning Open Office Spaces - October 26, 2017
- Put Your Hands Together (and Then Scrub with Soap and Water) for Global Handwashing Day on October 15th - October 13, 2017
- The Benefits of Day Porter/Matron Cleaning Services for Your Office - September 29, 2017
- The Real Value of a Clean Building [Infographic] - September 13, 2017
- 3 Ways a Clean Bathroom Benefits Your Business - August 30, 2017
- Have You Heard about Sunshine’s High Ceiling Cleaning Services? - August 22, 2017