What to Do If Your Carpet Has Reappearing Stains or Spots
Coffee spill on your carpet that just won’t go away? Stubborn salt spots from winter? Dirty stains that keep coming back, over and over again?
This is called “carpet wicking”. It happens when soil is trapped so deep in your carpet that it has penetrated the carpet padding or the subflooring. After a carpet cleaning – even a deep carpet cleaning – the spot reappears time and time again, because the residual soil moves back up to the tips of the carpet fibers.
How to Deal with Carpet Wicking
Depending on how big the stain is – and how deep it is – you have a few options for removing it.
Proper carpet cleaning methods are essential for removing carpet wicking spots. If you don’t use the right procedures with the right chemicals, you can actually make the problem worse! For example, you should usually use a solvent-based product before a water-based product (but this depends on what caused the stain).
You should enlist a professional cleaning company to tackle the stain. They will do some preliminary work to remove the stain (vacuuming, etc.), and then use hot-water carpet extraction to give the carpet a deep, thorough clean.
Sometimes, it can take several carpet extractions to remove particularly stubborn carpet wicking spots.
Preventing Carpet Wicking Is the Most Effective Solution
Don’t let spills have the chance to seep down into your carpet! If you clean up a spill or spot right after it happens, you will greatly reduce the likelihood that the carpet will show an ongoing stain.
Use cleaning solution right away on the spot and then remove as much moisture as you can by blotting at the spot (don’t rub it – that will make it worse!). Do this a few times until you can’t see the stain anymore.
Even if you act immediately, sometimes carpet wicking is unavoidable. You may notice the spot the next day. Or you may not notice it until the next time you do a deep carpet clean, which can bring the underlying soil to the surface.
If you notice carpet wicking in the carpets in your building, it’s time to call a professional cleaning company!
>> Sunshine Building Maintenance will keep your carpets clean, healthy, and attractive. Whether you have a special carpet cleaning need (like carpet wicking) or you want regular maintenance, contact us for a quote now!
More from Sunshine:
- The Advantages of Green Cleaning for Commercial Buildings and Public Facilities
- Why Your Building Needs Day Porter Services
- 5 Things Facility Managers Need to Consider for Proper Hard Floor Maintenance
- Keep Your Space Clean and Safe by Washing Your Hands - October 15, 2018
- How to Prepare Your Commercial Floors for the Cold Seasons - September 25, 2018
- Sunshine: Building A Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance Legacy - August 20, 2018
- How to Stay on Top of Summer Floor Care and Maintenance - July 10, 2018
- Celebrate World Environment Day by Prioritizing Green Cleaning! - June 5, 2018
- Preparing Schools for Cleaning and Maintenance During the Summer - May 22, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 4 Years with No Lost Time Injuries! - May 5, 2018
- Spring Cleaning: How to Take Care of Your Floors After Winter - March 28, 2018
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017