Did You Know Common Cleaning Products Can Trigger Asthma?
Over 2 million Canadians suffer from asthma – a number which has steadily risen for over 20 years. Unfortunately for those with asthma, many of the cleaning chemicals commonly used in workplaces, public buildings, and homes are asthma symptom triggers.
Not to mention, those chemicals aren’t good for people without asthma, either.
In a recent study of professional cleaning service employees – reported on in the Canadian Safety Reporter – bleach, glass cleaner, detergents, and air fresheners all made asthma symptoms worse, with effects lasting until the next morning.
The article suggests that, although the topic needs more research, protections should be put in place to keep people in various settings healthy. This includes industrial facilities, hospitals, offices, and so on.
“‘These results support the importance of developing workplace health and safety practices designed to limit exposures to irritant chemicals in cleaning products,’ the study team writes in Occupational and Environmental Medicine.”
At Sunshine, we take people’s health very seriously. That’s why we have our green cleaning protocols in place, including the “Healthy High Performance Cleaning Program”.
We use products, methods, and equipment that are healthy and safe, yet which are still proven effective. Through this, we minimize human exposure to harmful contaminants, cleaning residues, and pollutants.
We believe all professional cleaning companies should be held to a higher standard when it comes to healthy cleaning. Even though a building may look clean, it may not be healthy. One of the central purposes of cleaning is to maintain health; therefore, in our view, unhealthy cleaning practices are counterproductive.
>> Sunshine Building Maintenance is focused on providing responsible, effective cleaning for buildings in southern Ontario. Contact us for a quote or to submit a request for proposal.
More on Healthy, Green Cleaning from Sunshine:
- The Advantages of Green Cleaning for Commercial Buildings and Public Facilities
- How to Get Ready for Spring by Stripping Your Floors with Green Products
- A Guide to Green Cleaning for Washrooms
- Keep Your Space Clean and Safe by Washing Your Hands - October 15, 2018
- How to Prepare Your Commercial Floors for the Cold Seasons - September 25, 2018
- Sunshine: Building A Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance Legacy - August 20, 2018
- How to Stay on Top of Summer Floor Care and Maintenance - July 10, 2018
- Celebrate World Environment Day by Prioritizing Green Cleaning! - June 5, 2018
- Preparing Schools for Cleaning and Maintenance During the Summer - May 22, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 4 Years with No Lost Time Injuries! - May 5, 2018
- Spring Cleaning: How to Take Care of Your Floors After Winter - March 28, 2018
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017