Can You Guess the 4 Most Overlooked (and Under-Cleaned) Surfaces in Most Offices?
Many of us are in spring cleaning mode at this time of year—cleaning windows until they sparkle, shaking the dust out of rugs, and putting the polish back in floors. But are you forgetting some of the germiest places in your office?
Even if your building looks tidy, there might be bacteria lingering in commonly overlooked areas.
Here are four spots around your workplace where you’re likely to find viruses lurking:
When was the last time the keyboard in your boardroom was cleaned? One study from Kimberly-Clark Professional, in which researchers swabbed almost 5000 surfaces across a range of office types, found that 27% of keyboards and 51% of computer mice had adenosine triphosphate (ATP) levels above 300, making them high-risk areas for the spread of illnesses.
Though not all cleaning products will be suitable for electronics, your professional cleaning company should have the right equipment and products to clean all surfaces (including electronic devices) effectively and safely.
2. Switches, Handles, and Faucets
In Kimberly-Clarke’s study, sink faucets and handles (especially on microwaves and refrigerators) made up three of the top five dirtiest surfaces in most offices.
Like electronics, these high-traffic contact spots (known as touch points) have a lot of hands touching them all day, which is why they can harbour so many pathogens. Airborne viruses will also come to settle on hard surfaces, lingering for hours or even days if they’re not removed.
Your professional cleaning company should make touch point cleaning a part of their regular cleaning routine to maintain a healthy workplace environment.
3. Carpets and Upholstery
Carpets and upholstery can be home to a variety of pollen, dust mites, odors, and bacteria. It’s important to have these soft surfaces cleaned regularly to keep them looking and performing their best.
Most carpet and upholstery will require a professional deep cleaning one or more times annually. Your professional cleaning company can help you keep your carpets and other upholstery clean and healthy year-round.
Read our article 4 Tips for Preparing Your Office for Springtime Carpet Cleaning for more information!
4. Ceiling Fans and Air Vents
If your fan blades aren’t properly cleaned, they’ll just end up rotating dirt and dust into the air.
Fan blades should be dusted regularly with a damp microfiber cloth to capture and lift particles. Some air vents can be removed and washed, and you should always check that the vents are performing properly and are not blocked by furniture or other objects.
It’s important to regularly maintain your HVAC system, ensuring that humidity levels stay between 30% and 50% to maximize occupant comfort and keep furniture and appliances in good shape.
How to Keep Your Office Clean
Share these cleaning tips with your employees, and encourage everyone to keep the office clean, safe, and germ-free:
- Wash your hands properly and regularly. Check out this great infographic about hand washing!
- Wipe down your desk and high-touch areas in your break room daily using disinfectant materials.
- Report and clean up spills right away to prevent people from slipping.
- Leave your household cleaning products at home. Your professional cleaners will supply specific products that guarantee the best results.
Choose to work with a professional cleaning company experienced at identifying, cleaning, and disinfecting common touch points.
At Sunshine, our highly experienced teams bring together unparalleled levels of service, industry-leading training, and the best equipment to deliver superior results. Contact us today to discuss your cleaning needs!
More about Clean Offices from Sunshine:
- 4 Reasons You Need to Clean Your Carpets This Spring
- Why Hand Sanitizer is Important and How You Should Use It
- Smell-Busting Tips for Keeping Bad Odours at Bay This Summer
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 1,500,000 Hours with No Lost Time Injuries! - December 21, 2017
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017
- 3 Things You Can Do to Plan Ahead for Ice and Snow - December 6, 2017
- 7 Rules of Etiquette for Cleaning Open Office Spaces - October 26, 2017
- Put Your Hands Together (and Then Scrub with Soap and Water) for Global Handwashing Day on October 15th - October 13, 2017
- The Benefits of Day Porter/Matron Cleaning Services for Your Office - September 29, 2017
- The Real Value of a Clean Building [Infographic] - September 13, 2017
- 3 Ways a Clean Bathroom Benefits Your Business - August 30, 2017
- Have You Heard about Sunshine’s High Ceiling Cleaning Services? - August 22, 2017