5 Ways to Keep Hard Floors and Carpets Clean This Winter
Last year Southern Ontario enjoyed a relatively mild winter, but Mother Nature isn’t promising to be so kind this year – bringing back the snow, sleet, and ice we’re all accustomed to. Do you have the right floor care system in place to keep hard floors and carpets looking their best all season long?
Check out our five tips for maintaining your floors throughout the winter:
A Day in the Life of Your Floors During the Winter
- Melting Salt and Ice: Most ice melts are made using salt (sodium chloride). Their high pH values make them good at breaking down snow and ice, although they can also eat through the vulnerable finishes on your floors if they’re not cleaned and removed.
- Sandy Grit: Often ice melters will also include materials like sand to boost traction. These components then make their way into your building where they can scratch at floors if not intercepted.
- Heavy Footwear: With winter comes boots. This cold-weather footwear is typically groovier and grippier than what you’d wear in the summer, making it more adept at holding onto grime and pounding down on your floors.
- Increased Traffic: As people look to get away from the weather and spend more time inside, you can expect foot traffic in your buildings to increase.
1. Use the Right Matting
Entranceway matting helps to stop debris at the door before it tracks its way through your buildings. Whatever type you use (recessed well, scraper, wiper, or a combination), make sure it’s matched to meet your needs.
2. Identify and Target Priority Areas
Entrance areas and first floors are typically your primary points of contact with outside contaminants. Focus your attention in these battleground locations to prevent grit from spreading.
3. Fix Damages Promptly
During the winter, you need to keep an eye out for:
- Stains resulting from spills or exposure to seasonal pollutants.
- Discolouration due to prolonged exposure to elements like water.
- Cracks, dents, and rips appearing between floor tiles or on carpets.
Fixing problems like these early will prevent them from worsening and causing costly long-term damage.
What are the five benefits of day porter and matron services? Read our blog to find out!
4. Clean Floors Often
Cleaning your floors regularly is the ideal way to keep them in the best shape, especially during the winter:
- Vacuum hard floors and carpets to lift dirt and dust.
- Mop as often as needed to remove salty, grimy residue.
- Burnish and buff hard floors when required to maintain their sheen.
The appropriate frequency will be based on a number of factors including the size and type of the building, expected foot traffic, and kind of flooring.
5. Work with a Professional Cleaning Company
Professional cleaners have the experience, equipment, and tools to give your floors the attention they deserve throughout the winter. They will use their expertise to offer guidance and develop a solution tailored to fit your individual needs.
At Sunshine, we’re a professional team with a personal touch. Our fully bonded cleaning team members will treat your floors according to their unique requirements under the supervision of Sunshine management personnel. Contact us today to discuss your cleaning needs!
Read more on floor maintenance from Sunshine Building Maintenance:
- 5 Things Facility Managers Need to Consider for Proper Hard Floor Maintenance
- What to Do If Your Carpet Has Reappearing Stains or Spots
- 3 Carpet Cleaning Methods You Need to Use This Winter
- Sunshine: Building A Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance Legacy - August 20, 2018
- How to Stay on Top of Summer Floor Care and Maintenance - July 10, 2018
- Celebrate World Environment Day by Prioritizing Green Cleaning! - June 5, 2018
- Preparing Schools for Cleaning and Maintenance During the Summer - May 22, 2018
- We’re Proud to Announce That We’ve Added Another Milestone to Our Collection: 4 Years with No Lost Time Injuries! - May 5, 2018
- Spring Cleaning: How to Take Care of Your Floors After Winter - March 28, 2018
- 3 Things You Can Do to Defend Yourself against This Year’s Flu - February 9, 2018
- Happy Holidays from Sunshine Building Maintenance! - December 19, 2017
- 3 Things You Can Do to Plan Ahead for Ice and Snow - December 6, 2017
- 7 Rules of Etiquette for Cleaning Open Office Spaces - October 26, 2017